Tuesday, July 30, 2013

First Pinterest Recipe

Browsing Pinterest, as you do, one comes across many tasty looking noms. I came across this orange chicken recipe and decided I wanted to try it.
Crockpot-Orange-Chicken-Recipe-Recipes
The recipe tells us to use 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed. So I dig around in my deep freeze and came up with a package of  3 giant chicken breasts on the bone with skin. That’ll do.

I sat them on the stove to thaw and decided to leave them out all night, requesting that Mike put them in the fridge in the morning before work. They might not thaw if I don't. However the food police in my head told me to put them into the fridge to thaw the rest of the night, so I did. The next day, sure as the world, I had three lovely, still frozen chicken breasts. Whateve’s. I threw them into the crock pot with a small amount of water, breaking them apart first. Put on the lid and turned it on high.

3 1/2 hours later, I came back and took the chicken out of the pot, allowing them to cool, while I poured off the fat and liquid that had cooked out of them. I then deboned them and kind of cubed and shredded them. Back into the crock pot they went.

IMAG1548                                                              So um, chickeny.

Next I mixed together the 3/4c BBQ sauce, 3/4c orange marmalade, and 2 TBS of soy sauce.  I did not have the suggested Sweet Baby Ray’s so I substituted with KC Masterpiece Hickory Brown Sugar. It was a good move.

IMAG1549
At first I thought I couldn’t use a picture of name a brand product, so I took the picture with the bottle turned around. Then I read up on image’s and found out that if you link back to the company website, they don’t mind as it is free advertising to them. (See hyperlink above.) 

Anyhoo.

Pour the sauce over the chicken, give it a stir, cover and let her cook for another 30 minutes. I also added a little bit of water too. It was the right thing to do.
IMAG1551
I served the dish with white rice and steamer green beans. Doesn’t look like much, but it was delicious! I would totally recommend this to anyone who loves a sweet BBQ chicken.  

Difficulty: Easy
Cost: Reasonable
Taste: Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment