Monday, August 19, 2013

Salad Week: Day 1


IMG_1108

This is the first day of our Salad Week. My cousin's and I are making salads and link to each others blogs as we do. Cass was on the ball with her salad today, check it out at Lulu's Whimsy. Randi jumped in to with her deliciousness at Abounding Joy

Today was the kind of day where you look through your kitchen to see what you can assemble into a salad. I came up with Oven Baked Fried Chicken Salad. It turned out fantastic! Mike really loved it, and this is a good thing.

To make this delicious dish, read this recipe I snagged off Pinterest.
Your Grocery List
Chicken Breasts or Tenders               Salt
Buttermilk                                          Pepper
Shredded Cheddar Cheese                Chili powder
Almonds                                           Garlic Salt
Flour                                                 Your preferred salad mix.


I basically followed this recipe. First I thawed my chicken breasts, as I have a 2 person household, and marinated them in buttermilk. Like so:
IMG_1097
Place the buttermilked chicken in the fridge, covered for 30 minutes. Or 2 hours if you are me.
When you are ready to get cookin’, set your oven to 400 degrees. The recipe says to cube the butter and let it melt in the pan, but I chose to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a healthy alternative. I poured on about 4 or 5 tbs. Then coated the pan with it. After the fact, I would recommend more oil.

I next decided to cube the chicken for easier end result. Once cubed, I added them back to the buttermilk, while I prepared the flour.
IMG_1105
In a plastic gallon back, add 1 cup of flour, salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder and Garlic Salt. Be generous with your seasoning, as it gets diluted in the flour.
IMG_1100
Once your flour is prepared, drop in several of the chicken cubes, toss and add to the pan.
IMG_1102
Once you have completed this task, pop the pan in the oven for 20 minutes. Then turn the chicken cubes and cook for 20 more minutes.
IMG_1103
While they are cooking, wash, spin dry, and assemble your salad greens into the bowls. Add some cheese if you wish, and chop your almonds.
IMG_1107
Once the chicken is done and your salad is completely assembled, it should look something like this:
IMG_1111
Add your favorite dressing, ours was Ken’s Thousand Island. Enjoy! Both of us really liked how it turned out and it was filling and satisfying. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment