Friday, August 23, 2013

Salad Week: Day 4

AmishSalad
Several years ago, I sat with a friend in her kitchen while she ate this concoction of broccoli, cauliflower, cheese, onion (raw, bleck) and just moaned her enjoyment while eating it. Thanking her partner for making it, that it was the best thing in the world. Ever since then I have wondered about it and halfheartedly searched for the recipe. Will the wonders of the internet ever cease? Low and behold, Pinterest, of ALL the UNLIKELY of places, brought me this recipe. *snerk* The pin from Pinterest was simply an image with a recipe, so I had to do a search and found it on my OMG FAVORITE RECIPE WEBSITE EVAR! Justapinch.com My Sister in Law, Amy, told us all about Just A Pinch and I have been hooked ever since. All the recipes I have made from there have been AWESOME! I ramble, so let’s get to it shall we?

Amish Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
1 head broccoli, chopped
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound bacon, fried and crumbled
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
 
I halved this recipe, well eyeballed it. And left out the sugar, cause why? Once made, I found out that it would give Mike the toot’s so bad I’d have to put him out. And I must say, I don’t have the toot’s yet, but the burps will only win awards in the most foul category. However, I did like the salad, but I wanted boiled egg in it. I’d use real bacon next time, using turkey bacon as it isn’t half bad and I’ve been catching it on sale for about $0.59 a package, so my freezer is loaded with it. Carrot’s would do nicely in this too. I am sure some would like tomato. But for me, it’s so chunky that I am afraid tomato's would just get smashed. All in all, I’d take it to a family picnic, then giggle myself to sleep that night, thinking of all the tooting and how delightfully despicable I had been.


Update: I totally spaced and for got to add links to Cass and Randi. My bad, so sorry girls!

Abounding Joy is Randi and Lulu's Whimsy is Cass.








No comments:

Post a Comment